For more than 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has used science and medicine to document and call attention to mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. PHR, which shared the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize for its work to end the scourge of landmines, is poised for even greater growth and impact. As part of that strategy, we are very excited to be recruiting committed activists with a passion for human rights.
At the heart of PHR’s new fundraising and advocacy efforts will be the digital advocacy and fundraising campaign manager (“digital campaign manager”). The digital campaign manager is responsible for developing strategies and managing implementation of multi-channel digital advocacy and fundraising campaigns to substantially grow and steward the support base for PHR, its work, and its unique role in the human rights field.
The manager will also spearhead a new cross-functional digital working group at PHR, working in partnership with PHR’s external marketing consultants, Sanky Communications, and with PHR’s internal communications, advocacy, and development team members to help create a unified platform for the digital initiatives of the organization.
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Location: New York, NY
• Develop, launch, and manage multi-channel issues advocacy and fundraising campaigns on international human rights issues that are consistent with PHR’s brand and areas of work
• Plan and implement a comprehensive digital direct response program to grow annual support from donors with a giving level below $5,000, including a membership program and sustainer giving
• Lead a cross-departmental team effort to develop and execute online campaigns to build a constituent base (including medical professionals); raise audience awareness, engagement, and participation; and increase fundraising, utilizing methods including emails, social media, online advertising, building connections with “influencers,” and offline grassroots strategies
• Through multi-channel campaigns, create, execute, and monitor donor conversion, retention, and upgrade strategies to help the organization achieve its advocacy, fundraising, and audience acquisition and engagement goals
• Collaborate and manage relationships with outside vendors and consulting agency, including those focused on online fundraising, marketing, and outreach efforts to ensure final products are aligned with organizational objectives and agreed-upon deliverables
• Develop tracking, evaluating, and campaign performance and engagement metrics that help optimize results, and analyze and incorporate data into reporting deliverables
• Compile and analyze data analytics to support immediate decision making and longer-term strategy for sustainable donor growth, including list growth, increased engagement, and future fundraising goals
• Guide development and other PHR staff in understanding and using digital advocacy and fundraising campaign methodologies, including the use of digital data in evaluating donor potential
• Keep apprised of and utilize current best practices and new emerging fundraising technologies including online giving functionality, email solicitations, stewardship outreach, social media, and crowdfunding
• Provide input for income and expense budget planning; review and approve vendor invoicing
• Other duties, tasks, and projects as assigned
• Bachelor’s or advanced degree
• Three to five years of experience in the digital advocacy and fundraising campaign space, including campaign planning and execution, rapid response, email marketing, list building, fundraising, mobilizing “influencers” via social media, writing and editing content, and using data for decision making
• Hands-on experience and success in planning, developing, and delivering successful digital fundraising campaigns and project management in a nonprofit environment
• Knowledge of digital engagement, email, and web copy writing best practices, ability to product clear and compelling content, and ability to turn around copy on a same-day basis when news developments warrant it
• Experience using online tools, processes, and techniques for donor development, engagement, recruitment, retention, conversions, and list building
• Experience managing relationships with vendors and success working with cross-departmental teams
• Prior experience with CRMs, donation processing platforms, advocacy, and email marketing platforms. Experience with one or more of the following platforms is preferred: Salesforce, Springboard, WordPress, and/or Dotdigital
• Strong ability and passion for building and mobilizing a movement of health professionals, activists, and donors in support of human rights
• Enjoys collaboration and thrives in a fast-paced, team-oriented working environment
• Data-driven decision-maker who solicits and respects diverse opinions
• Strong verbal communication, writing and editing skills, including experience writing direct response advocacy and fundraising emails, and the ability to adapt writing style to a pre-existing “voice”
• Strong project management abilities combined with a passion for learning new skills
• Networked in the nonprofit digital world of fundraising and advocacy
• Excellent judgement and resourcefulness, flexible, creative, and prepared for hard work
• Energetic and proactive self-starter with outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow-through, and proven ability to work effectively under pressure
• Fluency in English is a requirement, additional languages a plus
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position located in New York City and is an in-office-based role (not remote.) Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.
How to Apply
Please send an email cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to email@example.com. Please include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Please indicate where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.