Digital Campaign Manager
Location: This position is usually located in our headquarters in New York City, but is remote while offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Classification: Full-time, 40 hours per week | Exempt
Work Authorization: Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) is a preeminent international advocacy and research organization that uses science and medicine to prevent mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. For more than 30 years, PHR has mobilized a community of clinicians and human rights professionals to advance human rights, public health, and social justice across the globe.
In this time, it has become a trailblazer in its field, leading landmark investigations into crimes against humanity and sharing in the 1997 Nobel Prize for its investigation of the health impact of landmines in Cambodia. PHR has also exposed the use of chemical weapons against civilians in Iraq, exhumed mass graves in Bosnia and Rwanda for international tribunals, and provided evidence for criminal investigations into torture and extrajudicial executions.
Today, PHR is on the front lines of the most pressing human rights crises of our time, from the coup in Myanmar, to U.S. police violence, to the COVID-19 pandemic. The last year has only highlighted the critical importance of using science-based approaches to safeguard human rights, most particularly those of women and children, immigrants, refugees, detainees, and other populations at risk.
Physicians for Human Rights seeks an experienced digital campaign manager to spearhead PHR’s digital direct response work and to support PHR’s overall digital portfolio. Reporting to the digital director, the digital campaign manager is responsible for developing strategies and managing implementation of multi-channel digital advocacy and fundraising campaigns – including email, social, and web – to substantially grow and steward the supporter base for PHR and its unique role in the human rights field.
The manager will be a key member PHR’s digital team, and work in partnership with PHR’s external marketing consultants and cross-functionally with PHR’s internal communications, advocacy, and development team members.
Reports to: Interim Director of Communications & Digital Director
- Plan and implement a comprehensive digital direct response program to grow annual support from donors with a giving level below $5,000, including sustainer giving.
- Collaborate with marketing agency to manage comprehensive digital direct response program – including donor cultivation, renewal, and solicitation campaigns, monthly giving, donor acquisition and stewardship, and digital advocacy efforts.
- Liaison with the development team to align digital campaigns with direct mail fundraising efforts.
- Lead a cross-departmental team effort to develop and execute online campaigns, online advertising, and online/offline grassroots strategies to build a constituent base for advocacy and fundraising purposes.
- Create and execute donor conversion, retention, and upgrade strategies.
- In collaboration with marketing agency, develop email strategies, creative direction, and lead implementation of email campaigns to drive fundraising and advocacy consistent with PHR’s brand.
- Provide programmatic information and materials to marketing agency and oversee final product that is produced for digital communications related to fundraising, advocacy, and other campaigning.
- Work closely with communications and advocacy teams to support an overall digital strategy for expanding PHR’s network of medical professionals.
- Manage relationships with outside vendors and marketing agency, including those focused on online fundraising, marketing, and advocacy efforts to ensure they are aligned with organizational objectives and agreed-upon deliverables.
- Develop a framework for tracking, evaluating, and optimizing campaign performance and engagement metrics and analyze and incorporate data into recommendations and plans.
- Compile and analyze data analytics to support decision making in real time and for longer- term sustainable growth along the donor pathway, including list growth and engagement as well as fundraising metrics.
- Identify strategy for use of donor segments and suppression lists to retain and upgrade donors.
- Focus on current best practices and new emerging fundraising and advocacy technologies, including online giving functionality, grassroots advocacy, email solicitations, social media, and crowdfunding.
- Provide input to income and expense budgets; review and approve vendor invoicing.
- Other duties, tasks, and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree.
- Five to seven years of experience in digital campaign planning and execution; rapid response; email marketing; list building; fundraising; mobilizing “influencers” via social; writing and editing; and using data for decision making.
- Hands-on experience and success in planning, developing, and delivering successful digital fundraising and/or advocacy campaigns and project management in a nonprofit environment.
- Experience using online tools, processes, and techniques for donor development, engagement, recruitment, retention, conversions, and list building.
- Experience managing relationships with vendors and success working in cross-departmental teams.
- Prior experience with CRMs, donation processing platforms, advocacy, and email marketing platforms. PHR’s ecosystem includes Salesforce, Springboard, WordPress, DotDigital. Experience in one or more of these platforms is preferred.
- Passionate about building and mobilizing a movement of health professionals and others in support of human rights.
- Enjoys collaboration and thrives in a fast-paced team- and matrix-oriented working environment.
- Data-driven decision-maker who uses analytics and data to guide strategic decisions that align with digital goals, objectives, and initiatives.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to message quickly and effectively, and in a manner that reflects a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion values.
- Strong project management skills.
- Passionate about learning new skills.
- Networked in the nonprofit digital world of fundraising and advocacy.
- Proactive, flexible, creative, and prepared for hard work.
- Excellent judgement and resourcefulness.
- Energetic self-starter with outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow through, and proven ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Fluency in English is a requirement, additional languages a plus.
Salary and Benefits
PHR offers competitive compensation, with options for medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation. PHR observes the last week of the calendar year as an opportunity to refresh, with all offices closed.
Please combine your cover letter and resume as a pdf or a word document and send it to email@example.com. Indicate your “Last Name/First Name, Digital Campaign Manager” in the email subject line.
A complete application consists of:
- A thoughtful cover letter explaining why you are qualified for/interested in the Digital Campaign Manager position with PHR.
- Resume/curriculum vitae.
Only complete applications in the format requested sent to firstname.lastname@example.org will be considered.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit and hire without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, prior conviction, arrest history, disability, marital status, veteran status, or age.