Digital Communications Coordinator
About Physicians for Human Rights
For more than 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has used science and medicine to document and call attention to severe human rights violations around the world. A global organization founded on the idea that health professionals, with their specialized skills, ethical duties, and credible voices, are uniquely positioned to advocate against human rights violations, PHR shared in the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize for its contributions to the international effort to ban landmines.
PHR’s investigations and expertise are used to document mass atrocities, advocate for the protection of persecuted health workers and medical facilities under attack, prevent torture, and hold those who violate human rights accountable. The organization is poised for even greater growth and impact. As part of that strategy, we are seeking committed activists with a passion for human rights.
Physicians for Human Rights seeks an experienced digital communications coordinator to be the primary writer and producer of PHR’s social media content and to support PHR’s growing digital portfolio. The ideal candidate is a skilled storyteller who enjoys keeping up with social media trends, has a keen sense for how content is consumed and shared online, is adept at implementing metrics-driven strategies, and is comfortable using video, graphics, and text to convey messages across multiple digital channels.
Reporting to the digital director, the digital communications coordinator’s primary responsibilities include developing and implementing social media campaigns and content; assisting in the development of social media strategies; handling the day-to-day planning, execution, and analysis of PHR’s social profiles with an eye toward increasing engagement and audience; and supporting content development and management for PHR’s website.
Additionally, the coordinator will support PHR’s larger communications team by overseeing a variety of administrative tasks and will also play a critical role in PHR’s overall digital communications strategy and execution. This position requires prior experience in communications and human rights, a commitment to human rights issues, and a willingness to be available evenings and weekends to respond to breaking news via social media.
Reports to: Digital Director
Location: New York, New York
- Write, edit, and curate organic social content tailored for the specific needs of each social media platform, including copy, images, videos, animation/gifs, and infographics.
- Coordinate with the Digital Director on rapid response. Monitor breaking news and current events to create compelling, fact-checked, up-to-the-minute social media content.
- Plan organic social media content and campaigns to support PHR’s programmatic areas and report releases.
- Develop social toolkits for major releases for distribution to staff and partner organizations.
- Develop and maintain social media content calendar.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on progress toward social media goals and assist in developing testing priorities to improve engagement.
- Maintain fluency in digital content best practices, including social media best practices.
- Work with the communications team to support content development for PHR’s website.
- Post new content on the website using PHR’s content management system (WordPress), ensuring that web content adheres to PHR’s editorial, brand, and information architecture guidelines.
- Work with the digital team to ensure keywords, metadata, and taxonomy are accurately applied to content and that content is optimized for SEO.
- Collaborate with content creators with an eye toward making content scannable, engaging, and sharable on social media.
- Manage PHR’s business papers, business cards, and other content templates.
- Organize and keep inventory of PHR’s printed products.
- Assist staff organization-wide with brand consistency and formatting of documents and presentations.
- Manage departmental expense reporting and vendor payment processing.
- Oversee departmental intern recruitment.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of experience managing social media or digital communications for human rights or other advocacy-oriented nonprofit
- Outstanding writing, proofreading, and fact-checking ability
- Ability to successfully manage multiple, competing priorities under pressure with strong attention to details
- Comprehensive understanding of the social media landscape and demonstrated creativity in developing innovative social strategies
- Expertise in website maintenance, content management, and content creation
- Familiarity with platforms for scheduling, reporting, publishing, and analyzing social media metrics
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Strong graphic design and video editing skills
- Basic html skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with interdepartmental teams
- A fast learner with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- A passion for human rights issues
- Experience working with WordPress, Salesforce, and/or Springboard is a plus.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position usually located in New York City, but remote while PHR offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Candidate must be authorized to work in the United States and be currently working in the United States. Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com including “Digital Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. The deadline is rolling, but applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Please indicate where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit and hire without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, prior conviction, arrest history, disability, marital status, veteran status, or age.