Digital Communications Manager
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR), which shared in the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997, is a U.S.-based international advocacy organization working at the intersection of medicine, science, and law. With a global network of thousands of medical, scientific, and legal experts, PHR uses the power of medical and scientific evidence to document violations of human rights and humanitarian law, prevent abuses, protect survivors, and promote justice and universal human rights for all.
Building upon its highly respected place in the field, and supported by a committed and talented team, PHR seeks a Digital Communications Manager to join the New York team.
Work Authorization: Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Location: Headquarters, New York, NY (hybrid)
Reports to: Digital Director
Physicians for Human Rights was founded in 1986 by five physicians who were united in the belief that health professionals, with their specialized skills, ethical duties, and credible voices, are uniquely positioned to prevent harm and promote respect for human rights. Since its founding, PHR has built a long and distinguished record of accomplishment by conducting groundbreaking investigations and advocacy, in concert with strategic partners.
PHR’s approach includes extensive documentation of the use of illegal and inhumane weapons in armed conflicts, attacks on civilians, and the physical and psychological impacts of torture and sexual violence as a weapon of war. Other core activities include protecting the rights of those seeking asylum in the United States, the human rights implications of the COVID-19 pandemic, and halting attacks on medical facilities and frontline health professionals.
Are you a results driven, digital savvy, storyteller? Then this role is for you. You will be a storyteller who works proactively with colleagues across the organization to develop and produce digital content with the goal of raising the visibility of Physicians for Human Rights’ work.
You will strategically choose messaging priorities for PHR’s digital audiences, developing key messages, and adhering to digital best practices. You will use your creative skills to draft compelling email, social and website content while facilitating consistent usage of PHR style guide and identity guidelines. You will measure and evaluate effectiveness of your work in order to continually improve results. You will work within the development department to highlight PHR as a brand along with the advocacy and programmatic work that happens around the year to online donors.
Physicians for Human Rights seeks an experienced digital communications manager to spearhead PHR’s digital direct response work and to support PHR’s overall digital portfolio. The position requires strategic thinking, innovative ideas, and marketing skills. The manager will be a key member of PHR’s digital team, and work in partnership with PHR’s external consultants and cross-functionally with PHR’s internal communications, advocacy, and development team members.
- Work with the digital director to develop a content strategy that tells the story of PHR’s work through our digital channels that motivates new and existing audiences to support the organization
- Collaborate with the team members across the organization to develop strategic content gathering stories, photos, and any other content required to support the digital communications efforts
- Coordinate the implementation of campaigns across digital channels including email and social media
- Work with communications to execute digital campaigns on the website including lightbox, homepage, UX improvements, SEO, advocacy and donation pages
- Create measures to continually measure and evaluate the effectiveness of your efforts and adapt future efforts accordingly
- Serve as one of PHR’s brand stewards making sure all online content adheres to the brand’s style, tone and voice
- Lead the thinking around best practices, efficiencies and improvements that with further the communications, development and overall organization’s goals
- Be a self-starter who can identify problems or opportunities that could improve the overall digital experience for the organization internally and our audiences
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in English, digital marketing, strategic communications, or similar field preferred
- 5-7 years of successful digital communications experience
- Developer of short and long term digital strategy using Key Performance Indicators to maximize growth over time
- Technical and analytics skills should include knowledge of web platforms such as WordPress, Google Analytics, HTML, email platforms such as DotDigital, MailChimp and social platforms such as Facebook and Twitter and ability to provide reports on metrics found within these platforms
- Experienced in managing social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn to capture audience attention and inspire action
- A strong storyteller with experience writing and editing copy for marketing/communications materials
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with staff at all levels and act with tact and diplomacy as a representative of PHR
- Resourceful problem solver with the ability to work independently and as a key member of the digital communications team
- Familiarity with graphic or UX design experience is a plus
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position located in New York City with a hybrid work model. Salary range is $63,000 to $73,000 and is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email and where you saw this job posting in the email body. Please indicate where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit and hire without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, prior conviction, arrest history, disability, marital status, veteran status, or age.