For more than 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has used science and medicine to document and call attention to mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. PHR, which shared in the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize, is poised for even greater growth and impact. As part of that strategy, we are very excited to be recruiting committed activists with a passion for human rights.
One such role is a digital communications manager. This position is responsible for maintaining the PHR website and online content, including collaborating with advocacy and development colleagues on advocacy and fundraising email campaigns. PHR launched a new website in October 2018 and the manager will be responsible for phase two of the launch, including strategic upgrades, content development, multilingual content, and further integration of fundraising and advocacy promotions.
The manager will be a key member of, and help to form a new cross-functional digital working group at PHR. They will collaborate with digital working group colleagues to create campaigns that include strategically coordinated online advocacy, social media, and fundraising components. The manager will also advise leadership and staff on strategies to keep the organization’s website and digital presence engaging and competitive.
Reports to: Director of Communications
Location: New York, NY
• Project manage phase two of PHR’s website relaunch, including multilingual content and implementation of infographic and storytelling tools
• Develop content for, maintain, and have technical oversight of PHR’s website and digital engagement tools
• Create and implement goal-aligned, metrics-driven communications strategies and tactics
• Manage, write, and edit compelling editorial content for the organization’s website and constituent engagement emails, and insure that all online content is consistent with PHR’s mission and editorial voice
• Take the lead on expanding PHR’s content types including video, audio, and graphic products
• Manage PHR’s blog, outreach to guest bloggers, and expansion of cross-posting
• Collaborate with the communications associate on social media strategy
• As part of the digital working group, implement an editorial calendar for email, social, and website promoted content
• In collaboration with fundraising and advocacy colleagues and consultants, implement and configure email campaigns and fundraising plans based on development, advocacy, and communications priorities
• Maintain regular contact with program staff in order to identify messaging needs and opportunities
• Monitor, share, and integrate emerging best practices in digital communications
• Establish and report on metrics to identify reach, engagement, and retention, to inform and guide best practices and improve digital strategy and direction
• As part of the digital working group, maintain records in Salesforce and generate e- messaging with Springboard and Dotmailer, PHR’s database, advocacy, fundraising, and email tools
• Manage and respond to supporter email inquiries
• Be available outside business hours to respond to breaking news, send constituent emails, and update the PHR website
• Identify and manage outside vendors and consultants to ensure they are meeting contract obligations
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Five to seven years demonstrated successful experience in digital communications
• Extensive and demonstrated project management experience
• Demonstrated experience in content development and persuasive writing
• Strong knowledge of and experience with CMS and CRM software tools (WordPress and Salesforce preferred, but not required)
• Strong understanding of analytical tools (e.g. Google Analytics) and ability to report on metrics
• Familiarity with HTML and basic graphic production
• Demonstrated understanding of social media best practices
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, especially MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
• Outstanding communications skills, both verbal and written, superior writing and editing skills, and the ability to grasp and communicate substantive PHR policies and programs
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with staff at all levels, and ability to represent PHR with tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and leadership, and to operate in a collaborative, professional, and ethical manner
• Excellent organizational skills, including ability to conduct and coordinate multiple tasks under pressure to ensure deadlines are met
• Mature, resilient, resourceful, and detail-oriented
• Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
• Strong commitment to the mission and goals of PHR
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position located in New York City. Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to email@example.com. Please include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Kindly indicate where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.