Location: This position is usually located in our headquarters in New York City but is remote while offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Classification: Full-time | Exempt
Work Authorization: Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) is a preeminent international advocacy and research organization that uses science and medicine to prevent mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. For more than 30 years, PHR has mobilized a community of clinicians and human rights professionals to advance human rights, public health, and social justice across the globe. In this time, it has become a trailblazer in its field, leading landmark investigations into crimes against humanity, and earning a 1997 Nobel Prize for its investigation of the health impact of land mines in Cambodia. PHR has also exposed the use of chemical weapons against civilians in Iraq, exhumed mass graves in Bosnia and Rwanda for international tribunals and provided evidence for criminal investigations into torture and extrajudicial executions.
Today, PHR is on the front lines of the most pressing human rights crises of our time, from the coup in Myanmar, to U.S. police violence, and the COVID-19 pandemic. The last year has only highlighted the critical importance of using science-based approaches to safeguard human rights, most particularly those of women and children, immigrants, refugees, detainees, and other populations at risk.
Recent highlights of PHR’s work include:
- Advocating for an Evidence-based Response to the Pandemic: Since the start of the coronavirus crisis, PHR has sounded the alarm over the grave risks posed by COVID-19 to populations in areas where health systems are underdeveloped, decimated by armed conflict, or virtually nonexistent. PHR is elevating the voices of local health providers about the extreme dangers of COVID-19 to their communities and supporting partners around the world in advocating for a concerted, collaborative, science- and rights- based worldwide response.
- Documenting Police Violence: Following President Trump’s July 26, 2020 order to deploy federal agents to protest sites around the country, PHR sent an expert team to Portland, Oregon to investigate reports of the extreme force police and federal agents were using against protestors and first responders.
- Highlighting Violence Against the Rohingya: PHR has produced numerous reports documenting serious human rights violations against the Rohingya people of Myanmar. Its latest research sheds new light on the patterns of extreme injuries, specifically related to sexual violence, that survivors suffered through rape, gang rape, mutilation, forced witnessing of sexual assault, and other forms of sexual violence.
PHR’s vital work is sustained by a dynamic and deeply committed team of approximately 45 based in New York, Boston, Washington, D.C., Kenya, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is also supported by a prominent Board and an annual operating budget of nearly $8-9M.
The Digital Director will be responsible for all elements of digital strategy including the PHR website, email marketing, digital advocacy, digital fundraising, digital advertising and acquisition, and social media. The director will lead a team of three as well as a cross-functional, digital working group to create campaigns that include strategically coordinated, online fundraising, advocacy, engagement, and social media components. The director will also manage fundraising and other consultants to ensure that digital growth strategies result in increased funding, audience and supporter expansion, brand visibility, an increase in the number of health professionals engaging in human rights advocacy, and the development and application of data-driven insights to digital marketing.
Reports to: Chief Marketing and Development Officer (CMDO)
- In conjunction with the CMDO, take a lead role defining PHR’s digital fundraising, advocacy, and communications strategy, goals, and tactical execution across platforms (desktop, mobile, tablet) and channels (web, email, search, display).
- Lead a cross-departmental digital team that includes fundraising, advocacy, and communications.
- Identify opportunities for high-impact digital campaigns that will excite and engage our members, grow our activist base, inspire change, and raise funds.
- Drive creative thinking about and manage digital campaigns, storytelling, and engagement at all levels of the organization, including writing compelling petitions, emails, and fundraising appeals to mobilize our activists to take specific action and contribute financial resources.
- Drive organizational digital strategy, assessing tech tools, campaign strategy, and development/fundraising needs and potential.
- Understand and apply data driven decision making to our organizational online presence, including testing, analysis, reporting, and targeting.
- Lead an organizational culture shift to increase digital fluency and social media thought leadership among staff; enhance senior management subject matter expertise for full integration of digital with other parts of organizational strategy.
- Develop and implement a social media influencer strategy to position PHR’s content prominently within the medical and human rights communities.
- Oversee and support a successful partnership with PHR’s digital fundraising consultants and agencies and coordinate their work to optimize fundraising, communications, and advocacy goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum seven years demonstrated successful experience in digital communications including digital fundraising, email advocacy, or online organizing.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with CMS, CRM, and digital activism software tools (Salesforce experience required).
- Demonstrated experience leading a dynamic team, supporting professional development, effectively delegating, successfully managing consultant contracts, and project managing multiple simultaneous work-streams.
- Proven track record of fundraising success.
- Significant experience in successfully managing consultant contracts.
- Experience leading issue campaigns for an organization on a national and/or global scale.
- Demonstrated experience in content development and persuasive writing.
- Strong understanding of analytical tools (e.g. Google Analytics) and ability to report on metrics
- Familiarity with HTML and basic graphic production.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, especially MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook.
- Creative digital strategist who brings their network and knowledge of a changing field to PHR’s digital communications.
- Strong staff management, team building and mentoring skills; ability to exercise sound judgment and leadership, and to operate in a collaborative, professional, and ethical manner.
- Outstanding communications skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to grasp and communicate substantive PHR policies and programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with staff at all levels, and ability to represent PHR with tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Superior writing and editing skills for the digital world, and the ability to produce effective content.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, including ability to conduct and coordinate multiple tasks under pressure to ensure deadlines are met.
- Mature, resilient, resourceful, ambitious, and detail-oriented, with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong commitment to the mission and goals of PHR.
Salary and Benefits
PHR offers competitive compensation, with options for medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation. PHR observes the last week of the calendar year as an opportunity to refresh, with all offices closed.
More information about Physicians for Human Rights can be found at www.phr.org.
Please combine your cover letter and resume as a pdf or word document and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate your “Last Name/First Name, Digital Director” in the email subject line.
A complete application consists of:
- A thoughtful cover letter explaining why you are qualified for/interested in the Digital Director position with PHR.
- Resume/curriculum vitae.
Only complete applications in the format requested sent to email@example.com will be considered.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit and hire without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, prior conviction, arrest history, disability, marital status, veteran status, or age.