For more than 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has used science and medicine to document and call attention to mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. An organization sharing in a Nobel Peace Prize, PHR is poised for even greater growth and impact. As part of that strategy, we are very excited to be recruiting committed activists with a passion for human rights.
One such role is that of executive assistant. This position will act as a “right hand”, providing strong support to the executive director via coordination of a wide range of administrative services. The successful candidate will be highly professional and demonstrate the ability to work independently, possess exceptional communication skills (verbal and written), and be highly organized. They must have a positive, can-do attitude, be self-motivating with sound judgment, possess the ability to trouble-shoot and research solutions, display a high degree of tact and discretion, and enjoy challenges and a work environment where no two days are alike.
Reports to: Executive Director (ED)
Location: Headquarters New York, NY
- Manage the executive director’s (ED’s) calendar, coordinate meetings and ensure that the ED’s schedule is managed and communicated in an efficient manner.
- Organize and support meetings and conferences by compiling agendas and coordinating logistics and guest attendance.
- Support the ED and other leadership in managing communication and acting as institutional liaison with PHR Board members.
- Manage and organize the Board of Directors by preparing for Board meetings, maintaining and updating as necessary Board orientation materials, and taking minutes in all Board and Board committee meetings.
- Maintain the central filing system for PHR’s official records and other organizational materials.
- As directed by the ED, conduct research, and assemble and analyze data to prepare reports and documents.
- Reconcile monthly expenses and expense reports for the ED.
- Organize and coordinate travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Coordinate logistics and liaise with outside consultants for PHR’s annual staff retreat.
- Draft and edit correspondence, communications, and other documents including presentations.
- Provide administrative support to other executive team members, as required, and take minutes in weekly senior management meetings.
- Maintain and manage PHR’s yearly charitable solicitation and annual compliance renewal process for all domestic PHR offices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in an administrative role.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with all business matters and exercise good judgment and discretion at all times.
- Demonstrated project management experience including the ability to plan efficiently and organize and manage several projects simultaneously with limited supervision or direction, while meeting deadlines.
- Strong, demonstrated working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Strong commitment to the mission and goals of PHR.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational and time management skills.
- Mature, resilient, resourceful, and detail-oriented, with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to effectively interact with a variety of personalities and temperaments; able to maintain composure and display calm demeanor in stressful situations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work with staff at all levels, interact with Board members, and represent the organization and the ED tactfully and diplomatically.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in a collaborative, professional and ethical manner.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position located in New York City and is an in-office-based role (not remote.) Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to email@example.com. Please include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Kindly indicate where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.