For more than 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has used science and medicine to document and call attention to mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. PHR, which shared in the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize, is poised for even greater growth and impact. As part of that strategy, we are very excited to be recruiting committed activists with a passion for human rights.
The media relations manager spearheads the innovative strategy that brings PHR’s voice and story to new audiences. The manager creates media communications plans, responds to media inquiries, proactively reaches out to journalists, develops messaging, and writes/edits communications for multiple platforms, including social media. This position cultivates and maintains relationships with the media, conducts media training, and regularly updates PHR’s media contacts lists. The manager must be a media-savvy, team-oriented professional with solid writing, relationship-building, and pitching skills.
Reports to: Director of Communications
Location: New York, NY
- Create a comprehensive media strategy that includes developing results-driven campaigns that integrate online and offline channels to meet visibility and advocacy goals
- Develop and manage national and international media relationships and lead outreach efforts to support PHR’s messaging and publications
- Integrate media relations efforts into a larger communications strategy to develop brand awareness of PHR, its staff, and other experts
- Provide coaching and interview prep to empower PHR staff, board members, and other experts to confidently represent PHR
- Position primary PHR spokespeople as thought leaders in top-tier media outlets
- Respond promptly to incoming media inquiries
- Write, edit, and package persuasive and newsworthy content about PHR that can be easily repurposed by you or others into blog posts, tweets, comments, traditional press releases, opinion pieces, letters to the editor, and talking points
- Lead cross-functional efforts to identify and develop positioning for programs, partnerships, and people in order to significantly bolster the impact of PHR’s work
- Maintain and utilize Meltwater media clip service to monitor daily news coverage and propose responses, releases, interviews, or other media tactics based on that coverage; track media mentions of PHR and its experts
- Write, edit, and issue press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, and other communications materials
- Maintain and build media lists based on relevant topics and geographic areas, as well as medium-specific lists for print, digital, TV, and radio contacts
- Serve as lead rapid responder on breaking news and media opportunities
- Collaborate with the communications associate on social media strategy
- Compile and submit monthly internal media reports
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five to seven years of experience in media relations and communications
- Genuine excitement about bringing PHR’s stories to new audiences
- A demonstrated ability to develop, pitch, and secure feature coverage in top-tier media
- Demonstrated placement in national media of organization-generated story ideas
- Familiarity with Meltwater, Cision, or comparable media database
- Demonstrated understanding of social media best practices
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Excellent written and communications skills, ability to translate complex issues into key points for target audiences across varied communications platforms
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and handle high-pressure situations and competing media issues
- A creative thinker who is able to navigate complexity to get to the heart of a great story and develop it
- The ability to leverage a network of proven and established press and media contacts is key to the overall success of this position
- Mature, resilient, resourceful, and detail-oriented
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Strong commitment to the mission and goals of PHR
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position located in New York City. Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to email@example.com. Please include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Kindly indicate where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.