MediCapt Technical Project Manager
For more than 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has used science and medicine to document and call attention to mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. PHR, which shared in the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize for our work to end the scourge of landmines, is poised for even greater growth and impact. As part of that strategy, we are very excited to be recruiting committed activists with a passion for human rights.
One such role is that of MediCapt technical project manager. This position will be responsible for managing and further developing all technical aspects of PHR’s existing MediCapt tool, an award-winning mobile application that transforms the way clinicians capture forensic medical evidence, securely preserves it, and safely transmits it to the police and justice sector for investigations and prosecutions. This critical tool converts a standardized medical intake form for forensic documentation to a digital platform to aid in the collection and transmission of medical evidentiary data to police, lawyers, and judges involved in pursuing cases of sexual violence. The code for MediCapt has been and will be developed and maintained by a third-party technology developer.
Reports to Deputy Director of Programs & Director of the Program on Sexual Violence in Conflict Zones
Location: Boston, MA or New York, NY preferred; remote candidates willing to travel frequently to PHR’s Boston office will be considered
Term: This position is for a one-year period, with potential for an extension
- Lead on all aspects relating to the technology of the MediCapt project, including overseeing the continued conceptualization and further design of the application’s architecture, further software development, and the management and coordination of the application with existing and new third party technology developers and other partners to take the app to its next stage of functionality and usage.
- Manage, review, and supervise the ongoing development and maintenance of the MediCapt code and infrastructure by the third party technology developers.
- Work with the third party technology developers to ensure that both the client side and server side of the application’s system meet best practices regarding data security, privacy, encryption, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), court admissibility, and any other relevant considerations.
- Work closely with members of the MediCapt team in the United States, Kenya, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and elsewhere as needed to support project expansion.
- Assume management of relationships with third party technology developers and vendors, including facilitating regular communication and coordination with and between the developers, the MediCapt team at PHR, and the partners and end-users in country.
- Assemble, support, and coordinate communication with a new Technology Advisory Board for MediCapt, including supporting development of governance structure, coordinating and leading meetings, providing regular updates to and maintaining strong relationships with board members, and recruiting new members.
- Advance the development of relevant policies and procedure documents, including manuals, standard operating procedures, and technical guidance toolkits for end users and their facilities.
- Coordinate the execution of regular independent security audits and reviews of the code by external experts.
- Coordinate the initiative toward making MediCapt open source code and serve as the focal point to maintain the code and to engage and communicate with the technology community.
- This position is focused on supporting the MediCapt project and the MediCapt technical project manager will not be responsible for other IT support at PHR.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated successful experience in the technology sector, including mobile application development, collaborative design approach, and implementation.
- Demonstrated experience project managing complex technology projects.
- Experience in developing counties and/or low resource settings a plus.
- Experience with protection of private information required; specific experience in healthcare settings preferred.
- Significant experience in successfully managing consultants and sustaining productive relationships with technology developers, experts, and other partners.
- Experience with mobile applications strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and using technology to create positive social impact.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and project leadership, and to operate in a collaborative, professional, and ethical manner and with a good sense of humor.
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to conduct and coordinate multiple tasks under pressure to ensure deadlines are met.
- Ability to bring together multiple stakeholders and effectively manage complex partnerships.
- Mature, resourceful, and detail-oriented, with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including the ability to translate technology jargon for non-technologically oriented audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal and cultural competency skills, including ability to work with staff and partners at all levels, all over the world, and ability to represent PHR with tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- English fluency required; French language skills a plus.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position, preferably located in New York City or Boston. Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Kindly indicate where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.