For more than 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has used science and medicine to document and call attention to mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. An organization sharing in a Nobel Peace Prize, PHR is poised for even greater growth and impact. As part of that strategy, we are very excited to be recruiting committed activists with a passion for human rights.
We are currently in need of a temporary development associate for a period of four to five months. The person filling this position will be an integral member of the individual giving team and is responsible for assisting in a full range of development activities that support fundraising plans for the programmatic areas of Physicians for Human Rights (PHR). These activities include assistance with key donor and prospect meetings and reporting; proposal management; fundraising events; and donor and prospect research. The associate will also provide direct operational support to the development department and the executive director.
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: New York, NY
- Support the executive director in day-to-day tasks and activities, including: researching and creating donor profiles; maintaining donor records and updating the SalesForce database with meeting notes and activities; prioritizing and arranging appointment calendars; coordinating arrangements for donor meetings, lunches, and appointments; composing/editing routine donor correspondence; prioritizing work and providing project support.
- Assist in the identification of new prospective individual donors and perform prospect research utilizing available research tools. Prepare donor briefings.
- Assist with prospect management activities, including tracking actions and biographical information in the SalesForce database.
- Liaise with mail house vendor, ensuring cohesion and agreement between the two on content, costs, and deadlines.
- Coordinate cultivation events and stewardship activities for the executive director, and provide follow up support.
- Manage program of $1,000 – $4,999 level donors, ensuring stewardship that includes solicitations.
- Provide routine update of meeting materials and ensure data and content is up-to-date and accurate; prepare and provide presentations and reporting tools and communications for the board of directors and donor meetings; aid in the preparation and updating of information for the annual report.
- Draft highly personalized acknowledgement letters.
- Develop and manage production of in-house mailings, letters, updates, and invitations to prospects and donors.
- Aid the development associate with gift processing to ensure proper record keeping and management of individual gifts, pledges, and pledge payments.
- In partnership with the development associate, supervise development intern projects, ensuring quality and comprehensive research.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with several years of demonstrated successful development experience preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs (Word and PowerPoint) with advanced knowledge of Excel; experience with a donor database such as SalesForce a plus.
- Strong judgement and decision-making skills.
- Strong research and synthesis skills, with a high bar for work product.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to data accuracy.
- Self-starter with outstanding organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines, and the ability to work independently while knowing when to elevate issues and seek help and guidance.
- Mature, flexible, resourceful, and a fast learner with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent written and oral communications, editorial, organizational, and time management skills.
- Technology savvy with an understanding of social media.
Salary and Benefits
This is a temporary, full-time position located in New York City and is an in-office-based role (not remote).The term of temporary hire is expected to be a period of approximately four to five months; however, a longer or shorter time period could occur depending upon position needs. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to email@example.com. Please include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Kindly indicate where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.