AWS Terraform and React Native Developer
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR), which shared in the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997, is a U.S.-based international advocacy organization working at the intersection of medicine, science, and law. With a global network of thousands of medical, scientific, and legal experts, PHR uses the power of medical and scientific evidence to document violations of human rights and humanitarian law, prevent abuses, protect survivors, and promote justice and universal human rights for all.
Building upon its highly respected place in the field, and supported by a committed and talented team, PHR seeks a AWS Terraform and React Native Consultant.
Location: Remote/Global Capacity
Reports to: MediCapt Technical Project Manager
Physicians for Human Rights was founded in 1986 by five physicians who were united in the belief that health professionals, with their specialized skills, ethical duties, and credible voices, are uniquely positioned to prevent harm and promote respect for human rights. Since its founding, PHR has built a long and distinguished record of accomplishment by conducting groundbreaking investigations and advocacy, in concert with strategic partners.
PHR’s approach includes extensive documentation of the use of illegal and inhumane weapons in armed conflicts, attacks on civilians, and the physical and psychological impacts of torture and sexual violence as a weapon of war. Other core activities include protecting the rights of those seeking asylum in the United States, the human rights implications of the COVID-19 pandemic, and halting attacks on medical facilities and frontline health professionals.
PHR seeks a technical development consultant for a 3-month consultancy to support completing the next version of our award-winning mobile application for documentation of forensic evidence of sexual violence, MediCapt.
The UN estimates that one in three women around the world will suffer sexual violence during their lifetime. To support the reliable and secure documentation of forensic evidence needed to support accountability for sexual violence cases, PHR designed and developed MediCapt, an award-winning mobile application to document forensic evidence of sexual violence. MediCapt provides a digital platform to facilitate the comprehensive collection of evidence by clinicians, including forensic photography of injuries sustained by survivors. MediCapt allows this forensic evidence to be securely stored in the cloud and safely shared with law enforcement and justice sector officials to inform investigations and prosecutions.
AWS Terraform and React Native Consultant will provide critical support to implement PHR’s updated vision for the application. PHR is in the final stages of an overhaul of MediCapt’s core architecture, and the consultant will support completion of the code update. This includes responding to key improvements PHR has identified as required to ensure the highest level of data security for our mobile application, as well as implementing additional features to respond to end user feedback.
Developing these features will require anonymizing data and setting hard limits to ensure patient privacy while allowing police and justice sector partners to assist survivors and be part of the solution to prevent future assaults.
This version of MediCapt (known as MediCapt 2.0) is written primarily in React Native (TypeScript) and primarily focuses on the Web and Android applications, with the Android app being specifically designed to be fully operational (at the user-level) while offline by caching a user’s data locally when they initially sign in. The server backend is built around AWS and leverages its many features for user management, data storage, permissions management, logging, etc.
Beyond proven experience in developing applications, a successful candidate will have a proven track record of analyzing project requirements, developing clear plans of action, and identifying gaps in project roadmaps.
Scope of Work
- Review existing project requirements and help identify any gaps in planning
- Simplify the effort needed to launch a new instance of MediCapt (Terraform and shell script configuration) and document the process
- Update existing API calls (defined in Terraform) to use standard Node Framework libraries
- Complete backend functionality
- Finish implementing approximately 15-20 server endpoints for planned features
- Implement any missing server logging and intrusion detection measures as needed
- Implement checks for patient information in logs and appropriate alerting measures
- Implement solutions to six fixes recommended from a recent security audit of the
- Work with MediCapt team to ensure the fixes do not limit the platform’s potential or break any required features (such as offline functionality)
- Complete / update existing UI elements and interfaces to ensure smooth, easy user operations
- Prepare the platform for multilanguage support
- Provide regular updates on project progress to the project manager and stakeholders, highlighting any challenges or delays.
- Assist in the creation of project documentation, including technical specifications, user guides, and API documentation.
- Share ownership of project requirements, identify technical challenges, and propose appropriate solutions.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience with AWS services
- Experience with AWS Terraform configuration
- Minimum 4 years of experience with TypeScript
- Proven track record of properly securing public facing web databases with highly sensitive information
- Cybersecurity background and/or experience a significant plus
- Strong understanding of mobile app development principles and best practices
Salary and Benefits
This is a short term consultancy role with a remote work model. Pay is commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email and where you saw this job posting in the email body.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit and hire without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, prior conviction, arrest history, disability, marital status, veteran status, or age.