PHR’s Asylum Program offers basic and advanced trainings for health professionals to learn how to apply their clinical skills to support asylum applications. These all-day trainings are held a minimum of two times each year and often offer continuing education credits for physicians, psychologists, and licensed clinical social workers. We require all new network members to attend a training prior to taking on their first case, unless they have relevant forensic experience.
Upcoming 2021 trainings will be listed here when registration becomes available.
- Human rights law, asylum law, and the critical role of the health professional and forensic documentation in immigration cases
- Physical and psychological evidence of torture and other human rights abuses
- Effective medical-legal documentation, including affidavit writing
- Best practices for collaboration between health professionals and attorneys
- Meeting and networking with other human rights-minded health professionals