Asylum Program Associate
For more than 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has used science and medicine to document and call attention to mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. PHR, which shared in the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize for its work to end the scourge of landmines, is poised for even greater growth and impact. As part of that strategy, we are very excited to be recruiting committed activists with a passion for human rights.
One such role is that of asylum program associate. This position will support the asylum team through collaboration with the asylum coordinator, and support the daily operations of PHR’s asylum program by carrying out tasks including client and new volunteer screening, outreach to clinicians, clinic management, liaising with legal partners, and administrative support as needed. This position will also play a central role in managing a volunteer network of over 1,400 clinicians around the country to support hundreds of asylum seekers each year, with opportunities to learn about human rights documentation and advocacy.
Reports to: Network Program Officer
Location: Headquarters New York, NY
- Serve as chief liaison between programmatic staff, volunteer clinicians, and external legal partners; with work that includes on-boarding new volunteers, screening new client requests from attorneys and conducting outreach and placement on forensic evaluation cases.
- Manage medical school asylum clinics and advise the PHR student advisory board on PHR asylum program policies and best practices.
- Work in collaboration with program officers on program reporting, and monitor programmatic data to assess progress towards quarterly and annual goals. Work creatively to establish program efficiencies through new uses of technology.
- Handle administrative tasks for PHR’s asylum team as needed, ranging from processing research data to logistics support for staff, clinician travel and trainings.
- Work closely with the finance department to manage and track programmatic expenditures, including building budgets for grants, submitting purchase orders, and administering reimbursements.
- Write blog posts, asylum network newsletters and other content, including social media.
- Work with the development team to provide subject matter input into grant proposals.
- Assist in the hiring and supervision of interns.
- Respond promptly to queries and requests for information from the asylum program received from PHR colleagues and external parties.
- Carry out all responsibilities in a timely manner to a high standard and consistent with the mission of PHR and the strategy of the program department.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least one years’ relevant work experience
- Immigration paralegal experience or other experience related to immigrants’ rights and asylum law a plus.
- Proven experience with Salesforce database a plus.
- Strong, demonstrated working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Strong commitment to the mission and goals of PHR.
- Energetic self-starter with proven ability to work effectively under deadlines.
- Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow-through a must.
- Strong professional communications skills a must.
- A strong team player who demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, maturity, creativity, flexibility, passion for the program mission, and a good sense of humor.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency and human rights.
- Demonstrated ability and comfort working collaboratively, effectively, and professionally with multiple stakeholders, organizations, and people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position located in New York City and is an in-office-based role (not remote.) Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to email@example.com. Please include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Kindly indicate where you saw this job posting in your cover letter.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff.