For Immediate Release
Ten major medical and public health associations, representing hundreds of thousands of doctors, nurses, and health experts, have written a letter to Libya's Colonel Mu'ammar al-Qadhafi calling for the release of five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian physician wrongfully convicted of infecting children with the AIDS virus in a Libyan hospital. The letter is part of an international campaign to free the health workers, who have been imprisoned since February, 1999.
These groups signed the letter:
- American Medical Association
- American College of Physicians
- American Medical Student Association
- Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- HIV Medicine Association
- International Human Rights Committee of American Public Health Association
- Physicians for Human Rights
- Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- World Federation of Public Health Associations
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) is a New York-based advocacy organization that uses science and medicine to prevent mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. Learn more here.