Boston Area Readers: PHR Invites You to a Public Forum:
WHEN THE STATE MAKES DEMANDS:
MEDICAL PROFESSIONALISM, DUAL LOYALTY, AND HUMAN RIGHTS
THURSDAY, MAY 12, 7 P.M.
Carl W. Walter Amphitheater 260 Longwood Avenue Tosteson Medical Education Center Harvard Medical School
This program is presented by Harvard Medical School, Physicians for Human Rights, and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- Holly G. Atkinson, MD, Past President, Physicians for Human Rights
- Robert Jay Lifton, MD, Lecturer in Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, and Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry and Psychology, The City University of New York
- Jonathan H. Marks, BCL, Professor of Bioethics, Humanities, and Law and Affiliate Law Faculty, Pennsylvania State University Dickenson School of Law, and Edmond J. Safra Research Fellow, Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics, Harvard University
- Robert N. Proctor, PhD, Professor of History of Science, Stanford University
The history of the Holocaust teaches us that in Nazi Germany, the state relied on the support of medical professionals to implement its eugenics program and ultimately enable genocide. The history also reminds us of the pressures that health care workers can face and the need for vigilance to protect health and human dignity as well as the needs of society.
Join the Holocaust Museum as experts in medical ethics, psychology, and the history of medicine delve into the history and lessons of the Holocaust for physicians and explore the difficult ethical questions that medical practitioners face in today’s society.
- Mildred Solomon, EdD, Associate Clinical Professor of Medical Ethics, Department of Global Health and Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School; Associate Clinical Professor of Anesthesia, Children’s Hospital Boston; and Director of the Fellowship in Medical Ethics, Harvard Medical School
The program is free and open to the public. Reservations are requested; register online or contact the Museum’s New England Regional Office at 202.488.6585 or email@example.com.Parking information and directions.